June 15, 2021

A study reveals that 98.7% of the elderly vaccinated in residences develop antibodies


The 98.7% of the elderly vaccinated against him coronavirus in residences of the Valencian Community developed antibodies three months after the second dose, while in the remaining 1.3%, two-thirds of these people developed another type of immunity, T lymphocytes.

This is reflected in a study prepared by the Valencian COVID-19 Vaccine Research Program (ProVaVac), which has also analyzed the side effects of immunization and has concluded that almost three out of four people have had no symptoms or report them as mild.

The conclusions of this study have been released after the meeting held this Tuesday between the president of the Generalitat, Ximo Puig, and experts from the ProVaVac program, which was also attended by the Vice President and Minister of Equality and Inclusive Policies, Monica Oltra, and the Minister of Health, Ana Barceló.

Following the meeting, Provavac’s Chief Scientific Officer, David navarro, and the epidemiologist from the health services research area of ​​FISABIO, Salvador Peiro, have presented the first results of this research that the Generalitat has promoted taking advantage of the mass vaccination campaign.

On the one hand, the protection provided by vaccines in the homes of the elderly has been analyzed, from a sample of 881 people over 13 homes vaccinated with Pfizer, who underwent rapid antibody detection tests three months later. receiving the second dose.

The study has concluded that lhe protection offered by vaccines in these centers is very high, with 98.7% of people with antibodies three months after the second dose, a rate among the highest of those described so far.

Among the few residents who did not have antibodies, 1.3%, the study reflects that two thirds of these people developed another type of immunity, specific T lymphocytes against the virus protein S, another defense mechanism against the coronavirus.

Navarro has pointed out that the study is “pioneering” and shows an “extraordinarily satisfactory” response of the elderly residents to the Pfizer vaccine, adding that these conclusions could probably also be extended to other RNA vaccines.

70% do not perceive side effects after the vaccine

On the other hand, 5,500 people vaccinated between April 19 and June 6 have been surveyed about the side effects of vaccines, and 70% affirm that they have not perceived side effects or they have been very mild, and almost all of them have disappeared before the week, data similar to those collected by the technical specifications of the vaccines.

Among those who have noticed an effect, the most common has been discomfort in the arm. 71% reported having some discomfort the day after receiving the dose, but 90% no longer noticed them a week.

The next most common symptom is general discomfort or fatigue: 46.7% of those patients who report having perceived a side effect suffer from it, although after a week it has disappeared in 80% of cases.

These consequences are common symptoms that indicate that the body is responding to the vaccine and generating protection, and they conform to the data reported in clinical trials and the technical specifications of the vaccines, Peiró explained.

.



Source link