July 5, 2020

A child is discharged after being transplanted from six organs at the La Paz Hospital – La Provincia


A boy Barcelona received medical discharge last Friday after being six organ transplant at the La Paz Hospital in Madrid. After almost three years connected 18 hours a day to machines On parenteral nutrition in order to live, Víctor, a boy from Barcelona, ​​received a six-organ transplant in the last days of February, after being on the waiting list for almost three years.

Her mother had been pregnant for twenty-seven weeks when they were told something was wrong. “After a routine ultrasound I was told that the boy had gastroschisis “, explains his mother, Ámparo. They traveled to Madrid, to the only national reference hospital specialized in intestinal failure. The diagnosis it was intestinal failure. He needed a multivisceral transplant and, until it arrived, he had to live connected to a parenteral nutrition machine and feed through a catheter for 18 hours a day. In the operation, they changed him stomach, liver, duodenum, small intestine, colon segment and pancreass.

Her postoperative period coincided with the Covid-19. “I have spent almost the last two months locked up in a room in the NUPA patient association’s foster home, with another family and their son in the recovery phase, he was very careful with the contact, “says his father. He underwent Covid-19 tests on several occasions to Children from the plant If they tested positive, they were taken to another area of ​​the hospital, and they could not be visited.

The boy said goodbye to the hospital with a tribute from the nurses and doctors who have treated them during this time. “For the medical team, perform a multivisceral transplant on a child whose only hope is that this graft will come, it is always a reason for joy. That it takes place after more than two and a half years on the list, and just at the beginning of this health crisis, is an ambivalent feeling. On the one hand, the permanent feeling of hope that the process is the beginning of a new life, and on the other, the concern that the already complex and risky procedure will be further complicated by the appearance of this infectious emergency ” , Explain Esther Ramos, head of the La Paz Intestinal Transplant Unit.

The doctor confirms that “against all odds, Victor’s evolution has been impeccable“.” Very short admission to the Intensive Care Unit and then discharge home just two months after the transplant, “he says.

The director of the National Transplant Organization (ONT), Beatriz Domínguez-Gil, has also celebrated the news. “Transplant teams from hospitals and the ONT are focusing their efforts as much as possible on patients in emergency situations, who can not wait any longer, and in those patients who have enormous difficulties to transplant, as happens with children like Victor “, he commented.

“The decline will continue during the epidemic, but qI want to send a message of hope for patients on the waiting list. We do everything we can to be able to attend to those who are in greater gravity, trying to solve all obstacles and difficulties. Once we overcome the crisis, which I hope will be soon, everything will return to normal and we will recover the extraordinary donation activity and transplant that characterizes Spain, which has to do with the excellent work of our transplant coordinators and teams, as well as the enormous solidarity of Spanish citizens, “he concludes.

.



Source link