Tue. Oct 22nd, 2019

A 75-year-old man dies in a one-story fire in Laredo (Cantabria)



A 75-year-old man has died in a fire that has occurred this morning in his home in Laredo, where he was with his wife, who has been rescued and taken to the hospital.

As reported by 112, the fire has taken place on the fifth floor of a residential building on Comandante Villar Street, at number 11 of the aforementioned Cantabrian town.

Some sweepers who were cleaning the street saw a woman asking for help in a floor window, from which smoke was coming out and notified the 112 Emergency Management Center of the Government of Cantabria, after 06.40 hours.

The 112 mobilized firefighters from Laredo, medical personnel from 061, along with agents of the Local Police of Laredo and the Civil Guard, as well as firemen from Castro Urdiales and Santander, who finally did not need to intervene.

The Local Police have explained to Efe that the couple slept in separate rooms and that the woman, also 75 years old, apparently tried to put out the flames, which originated in her husband's bedroom, with a bucket of water without getting it.

When emergency services arrived, the fire had broken through the terrace and firefighters were able to rescue the woman, but the man, whose initials are A.F.M. He was already dead.

To access the house, they had to break the armored door of the floor with a mace.

The fire was stifled around 07:30 hours, at which time the residents of the building who had been evicted as a precaution were able to return to their homes.

The woman was taken in an advanced life support ambulance to the regional hospital of Laredo to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The investigation of the incident has been undertaken by the Judicial Police of the Civil Guard and the City Council of Laredo has decreed three days of mourning for the death of the marriage, which, according to municipal sources, were residents of Laredo for a lifetime.

He has also called a minute of silence this Saturday at 1:00 p.m., in front of the Town Hall.

According to Efe neighbors in the area have been told, the man suffered from Alzheimer's disease although he used to go outside and take a target in the area.

He was a well-known person in the municipality, where he ran a hardware store and appliance store and his wife was a household employee.

The event occurred just a week after another fire in the village in which a woman and her seven-year-old daughter lost their lives, for which three days of mourning were also decreed.

. (tagsToTranslate) Die (t) man (t) fire (t) Laredo (t) Cantabria



Source link