More than two years ago Volkswagen announced that it would start reviewing the group models that were affected by the dieselgate, the trucaje of diesel engines that the company carried out so that these offered less emissions of the real in the laboratory tests. In Spain, 638,000 vehicles of the Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda brands were affected. The company explains that at this time would be to inspect – and solve the problem – in 20% of the units that mounted the EA189 engine, which generated one of the most serious crisis in the history of the company.
The president of Volkswagen Group Spain Distribution, Francisco Perez Botello, explained on Thursday that the group has been in contact with all vehicle owners and, to those who have not yet passed the review, they have been called "one, two and three times "without having gone to the workshop yet. He stressed that the review campaign will remain open and has taken as good the percentage of revisions, similar to those of the group as a whole and "much higher" than usual in calls to reviews for problems in vehicle manufacturing. "The last 20% costs a lot," he said.
When Volkswagen raised its revision plan, some consumer associations and lawyers of affected owners made a call not to attend the workshop before the possibility that the case could be appealed to the courts.
The subsidiary of the German group in Spain closed this year with 206,000 registrations, 11% more than last year, despite the fact that the market was affected by the entry into force of the new emissions control regulation, the so-called WLTP, for its acronym in English. The need to standardize the engines generated a bottleneck that eventually affected in different factories of the group, including Landaben (Navarra), which had to reduce production due to lack of engine stock. Once this trance was over, the president of Volkswagen Group Spain has indicated that 2019 will be a "more stable" exercise in Navarra, where the Polo and the T-Cross are produced. This year 320,000 units are expected to be manufactured, as has been transmitted to the unions.
In the midst of a crisis between the Ministry for the Ecological Transition and the sector for plans to prohibit the sale of polluting cars after 2040, Pérez Botello has called for an "orderly transition" that allows Spanish industry to receive allocations of combustion cars. that the second wave of electric vehicle manufacturing does not arrive. The first, he argued, will be reserved for the local plants of the parent companies, so that countries that do not have their own automotive groups will have to wait. "If we are excessively belligerent, when the second wave arrives perhaps the manufacture of the electric car does not come here, "he said.