16 million people isolated
The president of the Italian Government, Giuseppe Conte, signed this morning the decree that wants to fight against the spread of the coronavirus and isolates 16 million people living in the region of Lombardy and 14 other Italian provinces.
The decree, as Conte expressed, imposes "sacrifices, sometimes small, sometimes very great, but it is the moment of self-responsibility" in the face of an epidemic that expands without a brake and has already caused 233 deaths and 5,061 infected throughout the country.
These are the points of the decree that divides Italy in two and that affects the region of Lombardy (10 million people) and 14 provinces spread across northern Italy (Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro-Urbino, Venice, Padua, Verbano-Cuscio-Osola, Treviso, Vercelli, Novara, Asti and Alessandria):
- The entry or exit of the territory is prohibited, except for proven labor or extraordinary requirements as health reasons.
- People with a fever greater than 37.5 degrees should stay at home and not maintain contact, with the absolute prohibition of movement of those who have been positive for coronavirus.
- It is recommended to promote that, during this period, workers take vacations or permits.
- Nursery schools, schools of all levels and universities, both public and private, are closed.
- All public demonstrations and sports competitions are suspended, except for professionals that will have to be held behind closed doors.
- Civil and religious wedding ceremonies and funerals are canceled and for the opening of places of worship, the safety of the distance between people must be guaranteed.
- Gymnasiums, swimming pools, ski resorts, cultural centers, discos, theaters, cinemas, pubs are closed ...
- Bars are kept open from 6 am to 6 pm, but respecting a space of at least one meter between people, as well as restaurants.
- The medium and large size shopping centers are closed during the weekend.
- All permits of health personnel and workers that are necessary to manage the crisis are suspended.
In the rest of Italy the measures already approved are reinforced and theaters and museums are also closed and for the moment the closing of the colleges and universities is maintained until March 15.