January 15, 2021

12 years since the disappearance of Yéremi Vargas

12 years since the disappearance of Yéremi Vargas

This Sunday, March 10, are met twelve years of the disappearance of Yéremi Vargas, the 7-year-old boy whose track was lost more than a decade ago when he was playing in an open field near his house in the town of Vecindario, in Santa Lucía de Tirajana (Gran Canaria).

This week also marks a year since the Audiencia de Las Palmas confirmed the file of the investigation opened against Antonio Ojeda, El Rubio, in relation to the disappearance of the child, not observing signs that incriminated.

Just twelve years ago, the family reported the disappearance of the child, who suffered from respiratory failure and needed medication. Two days later, on March 12, 2017, up to 400 people participated in a tracking device around the place where Yéremi disappeared.

On March 19, the Civil Guard arrested a 27-year-old man, a neighbor of Agüimes, accused of an alleged extortion against the family, although they ruled out that it was related to the disappearance. He had asked the family for 6,000 euros in exchange for the release of the child and the investigation concluded that he did so for profit.

Months later, in June 2007, the then Minister of the Interior, Alfredo Pérez Rubalcaba, pointed out that in the Canary Islands there had never been a police operation as broad as the one to search for the child, while in the first days of the disappearance Up to 600 calls over the small one.

Already on September 11, 2008, last year and a half of the disappearance, six new agents belonging to the Central Operational Unit (UCO) of Madrid joined to reinforce the investigation. On January 28, 2009, the mothers of the disappeared Sara Morales, Yéremi Vargas Amy and distributed in Gran Canaria 4,000 posters with their photos so that children do not fall into oblivion.


For its part, on March 13, 2010, After three years without news of the child, the judge refused to dig in the garden of the family home located in Agüimes property of Fernando Torres Baena, the main defendant of the so-called 'Case Karate' on alleged sexual abuse in a school of martial arts on the island.

In June of that same year, investigators discovered a skull in a children's park in Santa Lucía de Tirajana, although they later ruled out their relationship with the boy's disappearance and pointed out that it could be that of a woman who had died ten years ago.

The investigation, which has not stopped in all these years, took a new turn when the Civil Guard announced on March 3, 2012 that it had new data on a vehicle and clothing of the minor, asking for citizen collaboration, hoping that these new data will contribute to keeping the case alive based on some detail provided by the neighbors.


In 2012, the Benemérita worked on several hypotheses; family revenge, trafficking in human beings, pedophilia or organ trafficking. Therefore, they investigated 195 people accused of pedophilia, under 65 and with crimes against children under fifteen years of age, 15 prisoners accused of these same crimes and several people of the island linked to this type of crime.


When they completed six years without Yéremi, on March 10, 2013, his mother, Ithaisa Suárez, was convinced that the work of the Civil Guard would end up bearing fruit. "The work you are doing will pay off any day, hope we keep it always intact, we have always thought that it will appear and that it will appear well, while it is not proven otherwise, we will always keep thinking like that ", I would say then.

On July 4, 2014, Interior Minister Fernández Díaz said there were "fairly good" lines of investigation on the disappearances of Sara and Yéremi and insisted that the State Security Corps and Forces maintain "permanent contact" with the families.

After one year, on September 17, 2015, it was investigated whether a skull found in Gran Canaria belonged to the child, although it was later ruled out that it was related to the case.


On June 1, 2016, the Civil Guard located a suspect in the disappearance and murder of Yéremi. This is Antonio Ojeda 'El Rubio', in prison in Algeciras (Cádiz) since 2015 for sexually abusing another child. At the end of that month, the suspect was transferred to the Juan Grande prison in the south of the island, appearing before the judge on July 13, although he refused to testify and to offer DNA samples.

During the month of September a cellmate from 'El Rubio' said he had told him how a neighbor killed the child and burned his body, something the defendant denies.

At the end of 2016, Antonio Ojeda was sentenced to five years in prison for an assault on another child who played in a street in El Doctoral in 2012. At that time, another prison partner told that after hearing this sentence, he sank and he said that Yéremi's case "had got out of hand" and that he had to "disappear" him.

However, the Court of Instruction number 2 of San Bartolomé de Tirajana, which dealt with the case from the day of the disappearance of the child, finally considered that there was no evidence or solid evidence incriminating 'The Blond' in the case of Yéremi , filing the proceedings opened against him, a decision that was ratified in March 2018 by the Audiencia de Las Palmas.


Source link