If a few weeks ago we had been told that a short time later we would have to be at home without being able to leave to be able to collaborate in the brake of a pandemic, surely we would not have believed it. Sometimes, reality surpasses fiction and, at the moment, teachers on the one hand, parents on the other and, of course, children, we have and we must make the best of ourselves to pass, in the best possible way, the quarantine that we went through as a consequence of Covid-19.
Undoubtedly, we are facing a social and health situation that marks the history not only of our country, but the world history and that, surely, in a few years we will study in classrooms. Right now, the reality is that the children are at home and must follow some guidelines and routines, in addition to the virtual classes that are offered to them from their educational centers. But it is also true that there are many hours that they spend locked up in the same place and, also, for the weekend these free hours are many moreTherefore, this can be somewhat complicated to manage.
For this reason, Emma Pérez, Director of the European School of Madrid gives a series of recommendations: “It is important that we keep in mind that in addition to doing their homework and trying to focus as much as possible on continuing to study and do homework, they will also take time. from rest, games and entertainment and it is here where parents play a fundamental role. How can we make the little ones have fun and at the same time not stop stimulating their concerns and learning? In addition to taking into account that at the moment we should be a little more permissive and understand that nothing happens if they use electronic devices a little more than usual, we are going to see some examples of other recreational activities that, surely, will serve us for these days, so “… Take note!
1. Help with household chores: We can get down to work as a team and, together, do the housework: make the beds, pick up, set and remove the table, tidy up … Although it seems very simple, these actions are very beneficial for children, since we instill in them values of help and camaraderie and, in addition, we promote responsibility, creating in them a security and self-confidence that will undoubtedly help them develop a stronger personality. In addition, with these actions we also help to strengthen the family union.
2. Cook together: The kitchen and children can go perfectly hand in hand. Preparing a recipe with them will not only entertain us for a while, but will also bring them great benefits, such as the development of communication and teamwork. With this activity we will give you the opportunity to experience and learn new foods, new textures and flavors, starting both fine and gross motor skills, and we will help you feel more self-sufficient and capable, especially when you see the results. As if that were not enough, we can exercise your mind with calculations and small mathematical operations, calculating the amount of each ingredient or adding up its total * Without a doubt, this is one of the most rewarding activities and with which you have a great time.
3. Paint: Let’s get the paintings out and let your imagination run wild! If we have brushes at home and watercolors, we can let them experiment there, if not, they will serve us some colored pencils or even their own hands. Painting has great benefits for children, but one of the most characteristic is to stimulate their creativity and thinking. With this activity they will also develop their coordination and linguistic expression and, in addition, it will serve to improve their self-control and their emotions. It relaxes them a lot!
4. Games with modeling clay and geometric shapes: In a very similar way to the previous one, the games with modeling clay, another variant of creating and imagining, will help them develop creative and expression abilities. In addition, we can add games with geometric figures and we will improve some aspects such as mathematical knowledge, their ability to logic or fine motor skills.
5. Read: Reading is something that we should encourage every day but, in addition, in these times it is almost more important. Let’s set an example for our children and let’s all read together in the classroom. If they are very young, let’s read a story with them. Without a doubt, this will help them acquire more vocabulary, we will encourage their curiosity and attract their attention span, apart from making their imagination stimulate in a remarkable way.
6. Watch movies in English: If we want to continue promoting languages, it is important that we make them immerse themselves in them in the simplest and most attractive way: Watching their favorite movies! Let’s use the drawings they like so much or the great classics of children’s cinema. Their ability to understand will improve at times without them practically realizing it.
7. Motor circuit: And what about moving the body? Luckily, many online exercise classes are taking place these days, but we can also let our imagination run wild and ride a circuit around our house. Let’s create obstacles with things we have: books, bottles, milk boxes * Let’s design how to go from one stage to another and make them jump, duck or go through the different levels of difficulty, divided into different rooms. In addition to bringing benefits to your physical condition, we will be able to improve other aspects such as balance, respect for the environment or self-sufficiency and we will also work on gross motor skills.
8. Assemble puzzles: This is one of those lifelong activities that stimulates, teaches and motivates both young and old. In the case of children, we will not only stimulate their concentration, but we will also improve their visual memory, their capacity for self-control and reflection, and we will also forge family relationships. It’s a great shot!
9. Interpret a story: That they choose their favorite story, that they take from their wardrobe the wardrobe that they consider, giving that importance to their capacity for decision and self-sufficiency and that they interpret the story that they like the most. Theater helps them improve their language skills, develops their ability to express, communicate and stimulate their memory. It is a lot of fun even for the most timid!
10. Create objects based on others: Surely when we were little we made necklaces with macaroni, and how good it was! With a thread and a handful of this paste, we can divide the activity into several phases. First, they can color the macaroons and then, by inserting them into a thread, they can get to design a necklace. This activity helps to develop fine motor skills, to work on aspects such as patience and concentration and inculcavalores as positive as recycling and the importance of reusing things.
Without a doubt, we face many free hours locked in the same space, therefore, we must take out our most creative side to make everything a fun game for them.